Monday, January 29, 2007

A great project that needs your support

Hi all! YOu know that my friend Brian is visiting at the end of February. He has decided to create a project to help out students in Cape Verde. I am posting his letter here. PLEASE, PLEASE help out with this project. It would mean the world to me and to the students here. I am so proud of Bri for getting this together and being so thoughtful about his trip to Cape Verde.


Family, Friends & Colleagues!

Many of you know, and some of you may not, but I am traveling to Cape Verde, Africa in less than a month. I am visiting a friend who has served through the Peace Corps over there for a year and a half. Her mission has been teaching local teachers the English language. The schools in Cape Verde are under-funded and often lack even the basic supplies of paper, pencils and pens. This is the reason for the mass email to all my family, friends and colleagues. I am collecting money to buy school/office supplies to donate to the schools and classrooms my friend’s students will be teaching in.

My original plan was to collect office supplies, and/or buy them through cash/gift card donations. I was going to take what I bought and carry them along in an extra piece of luggage. Well because of airline restrictions, and other logistical nightmares, this plan has been scrapped. So I’m moving on to Plan B! Plan B is collecting cash or checks, which I can wire to my friend in Cape Verde before I travel over there. Then once I’m over there, she and I will go shopping for as much supplies as your donations will buy. This actually has the added benefit of putting money into the local economy. So not only would your donations be helping the schools and classrooms of Cape Verde, but the shop owners and their families too!

So I’m asking your help with Plan B. If everyone I know just donated $5, then I could really provide the students there with a wonderful gift. I have no idea how much money I can raise, but I’m shooting for around $500. If you are around town, I’m asking you give me a shout and donate just a little bit. (I’ll come to you if need be!) If you are farther away, maybe you can mail me cash, or a check made out to me that I can cash. You can mail donations to:

Brian Nelson
582 Central Ave.
Dover, NH 03820

I leave February 21, so I actually have very little time to collect donations. I’m actually hoping to have all the donations in by February 15 so I have time to wire the money to my friend (I don’t want to travel with lots of cash).

Please do this and thank you a head of time.

Brian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian, I am so glad that you are going to see Casey!!! You guys should have so much fun; I hope to be going over myself in the summer. I am just going to give my contribution to the project to Casey, and you can help her spend it there. What a wonderful, thoughtful plan you have. Betty Sue (Casey's Mom)

Brian said...

Thanks Betty Sue! My friends and family have been incredibly wonderful in their support of this project. I should have around 1000 dollars by the time we do the shopping!