This morning I was returning from my morning exercising and decided to stop into my local market to grab some yogurt and oranges. I got to the counter and needed to pay. I only had a 2000$00 bill and the store did not yet have change in the register. The man in front of me was waiting for change from his purchase, so I decided to run over and try to get some smaller bills to pay for my food. When I returned from this errand, the man was gone and the cashier told me that he had paid for my food!
This man was sooo kind to me, a person he didn't know. I am white, which in this country, automatically translates as rich. Most people would not pay for something of mine simply because I don't look poor. I was amazed that this man just helped me out! I asked the cashier to thank him for me if he ever returned to the store. This random act of kindness is what makes life rich and full. This reminded me that though I am a volunteer helping this country, I am not above being helped myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a beautiful gift! Don't worry about the thanking. He got more joy in the giving than you did in the receiving. God is full of blessings for you. Love you, Celeste
Wow! One year?!? Congrats! That went fast, didn't it?
Imagine how different your life has been every day in the last year than it would have been had you stayed home. Imagine how much most people hate their lives, how little most people contribute, and how few people get to ever leave their own country...much less live in another country. Imagine how far you have come as a person in one year.
Also, imagine how good looking I am. It isn't hard. Just picture Brad Pitt.
Casey, I think the reason that man paid for your groceries is because you are such a good person. Call it Karma or
What goes around comes around or
Pay it forward or
Old senile people blindly paying for groceries they think are theirs and then forgetting them.
Whatever you want to call this phenomenon, you deserve those free groceries for your actions, your conduct, your character, and for the fact that you are a hot white girl in Africa.
Well, as for me, I am two days away from going home. While I am excited for things like Mountain Dew, Free Refills, and paying $3plus for gas... oh wait...skip that last one, I am really bittersweet about going home. Here, my life is a backpack and a passport.
And while I am listing compound words, I will throw in
wristwatch
underwear
tubesteak
You know, all the important backpacking essentials. Especially tubesteak.
At home, life is so much more complicated. Bills, taxes, car maintenance, and using toilets with toilet seats. How will figure it all out?
Well, I must go. Once again, it has been fun blessing your blog with my amazing wit, my unflappable charm, my undeniable wisdom, my poetic writing, and my Men's Health Magazine-like rippled abs.
Kurtis Longshanks North
Post a Comment