This past week has been quite interesting. From 9 until 5 everyday, I have been sitting in a room with 40 other people setting up the schedule for the 33 new volunteers coming to Cape Verde on July 6th and 7th. This planning session at times seemed endless, but in the end, we came together to produce a pretty good 9-week training program for these new folks. I am happy to be a part of the staff this summer that will help the volunteers get an idea of what service here is like.
One of the interesting parts of this training week was that much of it was presented in Creole. This truly tested the speaking abilities of the volunteers as we struggled to keep up and participate in the conversation. I am happy to realize that my listening and speaking skills are pretty good and that my colleagues have also improved incredibly since last year. It will be interesting to see these new faces, trying to figure it all out just like we did! I can't believe it's been a YEAR this week since I made my way to this beautiful place! I can't wait to see what the next year holds for me in Mindelo. I get to start anew and continue to learn and grow here. What a great life I'm having!
No comments:
Post a Comment