Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Week 4, No Electricity

That’s right, it’s the beginning of the fourth week without electricity most of the time. We’ve been buying candles in bulk and having to do everything by the minimal light that enters our dungeon-like apartment. Actually, our apartment isn’t too bad, it’s just surrounded by other taller buildings which effectively block most good light! I can’t complain, I guess. I mean, I live in a third world country with much more severe problems than this. However, this lack of electricity has changed the buying habits of people in Praia. We aren’t buying frozen goods or fresh goods that need refrigeration. Leftovers don’t last long without power, so it’s hard to cook much of anything. Also, we can’t actually use computers or things of that nature to get our work done unless we come to the Peace Corps office where they have a generator running at all times! At least, I have connections to an energy source! Well, wish me the best without power. We’ve been losing water access more and more, so that could be the next to go! Let’s hope not. Life without water is NOT fun.

Oh! Dianne, my roommate for the past year, will be moving to America on August 6th! I’m pretty excited to be roommate free soon and to have Max, my new dog coming on the same day. Life this past year with a “senior” roommate has been a challenge. I am now looking forward to a month break before I move in with my new, younger roommate. This one, Elizabeth, is only 64!

No comments: