Recently (about 3 days ago) two volunteers left Cape Verde! This married couple, Nick and Kimberly, lived in Praia and left behind a great home. Since Dianne and I were slated to move due to security issues, this presented a perfect new house for us! We are in the process of moving to a nearby neighborhood in an area that I like very much. Our new home in Achada, is on the first floor of a building, but it is not on a main road like our current place. I think we will be much happier and feel much safer in our new place. Right now we are in the process of having someone clean the house so that we can move in really soon.
Another major change in my life concerns my foot! As many of you know, I have been waiting on word from Washington, D.C., about the possibility of surgery on my foot. I found out that I definitely must have surgery! Wow, that means I will have the bottom of my foot cut open and a bone will be removed! Sounds scary, huh? As if it isn't bad enough that I'm to have surgery, I also am faced with something far more difficult. The people in D.C. said that I have two options: have surgery in Dakar or be medically separated from the Peace Corps. After speaking with doctors here it seems as if surgery in Dakar is not even an option. Effectively the powers that be have given me no choice but to leave the Peace Corps. This is extremely difficult news to deal with. I am NOT ready to leave. I love my life here, absolutely and completely. Aside from the broken foot, I have had one of the greatest experiences of my entire life. I love Cape Verde. I love my students. I love what I'm teaching. I love the people. I love my friends and colleagues. I love it all. I don't want to put this part of my life behind me and move home. I'm just not ready. I will be medically separated (kicked out) in a few weeks (when I get things squared away here). I will go to Mississippi, have surgery, and then asked to be "reinstated" into PC when I am healed. The healing process should take no longer than 12 weeks. The first 6 weeks will consist of my being on crutches and in a walking cast. Then I can start wearing real shoes and within another 6 weeks be back to normal activities.
Okay, so this means I'm headed stateside. I'm leaving the life that I love to return to a Mississippi different than I left it. I am nervous about return to a place devestated by a hurricane. Life there is different and I will be confronted with that for the first time. I am also nervous about heading to the states because things are so different here. We throw our used toilet paper in the trash can because the sewage system can't handle the trash. We bleach our fruits and veggies. We boil and filter our water. We take cold showers. We never ride in cars. Not to mention the fact that we don't have Wal Marts or Target stores. The overabundance of things in America is said to be one of the most overwhelming parts about returning. I have heard stories of volunteers going to the grocery store and leaving because they were too overwhelmed to make a decision. I also know that I am really getting good with my language abilities. I am getting better all the time with my Creole. I am really bummed that I will have to take a break from speaking with my friends in this new language. Basically, I am bummed about the entire thing. I wish that things were different. I really just want the PC to keep me as a volunteer, send me to the states for the surgery and bring me right back. But, unfortunately, beauracracies don't exactly function as they could or should. It's sad that I am caught in the middle of a decision that has nothing to do with what I want. It is also a shame that I have to leave my job that I have been sent here to do. Wish me the best of luck during my last couple of weeks here. I am sad, very, very, very, very, very sad to be leaving. I wish things were different.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Truly sorry about your situation. I guarantee you the states will look so much different when you don't want to be there. Now that you're being forced to go, even though you are going home... and then sit around and think about it... it's harder than it sounds. Make the best of of your time there, Cape Verde is always in our hearts.
-Va
life is hard sometimes - you'll deal.
Casey, as someone who also has to wipe his ass and throw it in the trash, I feel your pain in not wanting to leave such a lifestyle.
Nothing says "I love this place" like used ass-rags in the trash can.
Well, while you are home go and eat at all the Pizza Huts, Subways, McDs, BKs, etc that I am missing. Oh wait, those are EVERYWHERE down here.
Good luck, and hey, while they are down there maybe they can fix that snaggle-toe of yours...
Kurt
Hey Casey--Sorry to hear the news. I know your fam will love to see you for a bit though. Best wishes on a speedy recover so you can return to the work you love. Prayin for ya!
Well I can tell you one person who can't wait to see you- your cat. (Ok, I am doing that silly thing where I speak for him, but that dialogue is a lot cooler when you take one of the parts.) Anyhow, tell the PC that you have to stay in Cape Verde until you get the package that your old dumb roommate waited almost three months to send. I guess the nutrigrain bars won't be as well received as I thought they would.
Seriously though, let me know what I can do for you during this process. You could spend some recovery time in PA if Betty Sue is short a bed :)
Post a Comment