In an effort to not think about my broken foot and leaving the Peace Corps, I have decided to try something new, inspired by my wonderful friend Bekah. In her most recent email, Bekah decided to send me a question to answer about my experiences in Cape Verde. I have decided to post her question and my response for everyone to read. I think this might be entertaining and at the very least informative. Here is her question:
"I think I will institute a new practice with my emails to you. One random question about your experience per email. Is that annoying? Well feel free not to answer if so. Here is today's question? What are a few of your favorite regional foods? Or, what are some things that you eat very frequently, either because they are available or because they are good, or both? "
Excellent question, Bekah! I love to talk about food. My favorite Cape Verdean foods are:
1. Cachupa, the most famous Cape Verdean dish. This is a "stew" of sorts. It contains beans, corn, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, and sometimes pork (all parts of the pork, mainly intestines). I tend to pick around the pork parts as I am not a fan of organ meat! This dish is served with rice. It is my absolute favorite dish in Cape Verde!!! My host mom makes the BEST cachupa in the country (of course, everyone says that their mom's cachupa is best, but my mom's really is).
2. Churrasque, grilled chicken. This dish is just basically grilled chicken that is basted with olive oil and spices while being grilled. It truly is the best grilled chicken I've ever had. Traditionally, you are served a half of a chicken and a plate of french fries and some veggies (tomato and cucumber and lettuce). At any given restaurant this dish is very inexpensive, about 400 escudo ($4).
3. Pastels. A pastel is fried dough with a bit of spicy tuna fish in the center. The women make these on the street here. They usually pound out the dough, put the tuna in the middle, and fry them while you wait! They are an excellent snack.
4. Any of the fish! Cape Verde, as you might imagine, has wonderful fish. On any given day you can buy fresh fish in the market. My favorites are grouper, tuna, and serra. These are all amazing and easy to find.
5. Kouve. This is basically collard greens. As a true Southerner I can't help but love Kouve. Kouve is a little different than collards, but equally as yummy. I cook these about once a week! YUMMY!
6. Bekah asked about things I eat frequently. I have to say that I eat Lima Beans as often as possible as well as red beans and rice. These are readily available and SO GOOD. The food in Cape Verde definitely is wonderful. I never tire of beans and rice, which you can find everywhere. It's great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, so that's my LONG answer to Bekah's question. Please feel free to ask questions. I'll happily post your questions as well and my answers. Txau, ti logo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So you eat beans all the time, huh?
Sweet GASSY Molassy!!!!! That's gotta smell!!!!
(not to mention the fried spicy tuna fritters or collard greens).
Kurt
(the man who never farts)
Post a Comment