Thursday, January 05, 2006

We've lost a good man!


Okay, noone died, but my friend Sarin has decided to terminate his service early. Sarin is a great guy, and I'm going to miss his frat boy ways (Sarin went to UNH as an undergrad so Kathleen and Bri know what kinda crazy kid he is)!

Sarin came in as part of my group and will be the fifth member to leave us early! Sarin has been living on this island (Santiago) in a town called Calheta. He was living with another volunteer, Adam and working for the youth center there. It really, really sucks when people from this island leave because that's one less friend around for hanging out and going to parties. I completely understand all of his reasons for leaving. He plans to try to get to Cambodia to visit his extended family and try to do some volunteer work there if possible. I know he'll do good things! This is definitely a memorable 6 month mark. Today it has ben exactly 6 months since I left Mississippi! I sure hope noone else decides to leave, it's harder on those of us who stay in some ways! The people who leave return to normalcy and convenience. Those of us who stay just miss those who left (and are a little jealous too). Well, school begins tomorrow and then I'm headed back to Dakar on Monday! I hope all is well as you all try to keep up those new years resolutions! I'll write more soon. Txau.

1 comment:

Kurtis North said...

Casey, isn't it amazing how impermanent (is that a word?)things are overseas. It seems like life is never settled and friends come and go much more "fluidly".

When I saw that your brother was getting married, my first reaction was, "Holy Hell, Mississippi done gone and legalized gay marriage! And of all states! Mississippi didn't even outlaw slavery on the books until 1995...and now look how progressive they are!"

And then I saw he was marrying a woman. And I was even MORE surprised. Wow! Good job, Morgan...

Good luck with your foot. Or, as they say on stage, "break a leg." Hey, at least your mind would be off your foot.

Well, I will be starting my costa rica blog soon, so I will send you that as soon as I start.

Take care,

Kurt