Monday, August 29, 2005

hurricane Katrina

Okay, I spoke with my mom last night and she said that a massive hurricane was headed for my home. I am completely freaked out and have checked the internet to see what´s going on there, but can´t really tell anything. If you have any info, please let me know. I´ll try to get back online tomorrow to check things out. I gotta run.

Txau

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Casey it's your brother Morgan, John Austin is in Starkville with me, he talked to mom and duke. They are O.K. we don't know what the damage is to the house but we can all hope for the best. Joe is with them as well I'll keep you posted when I get some more details. I love you and godspeed
Morgan

Anonymous said...

Casey, this is your cousin Jill. My parents are with yours, but I have no idea what is going on or when Morgan talked to them. The pictures on t.v. are horrible. Ocean Springs, according to the woman on tv, has been severly damaged, especially East and Front beach. I am just going by what is on t.v. since I am in OK. I will keep you updated, however I need to be updated as well. I love you and wish we were all together!

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way all of our parents were at Jackson County Comm. College in Duke's office.

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey, this is Melissa Burkett. I was taking a break from work catching up on your adventure when I remembered that you are from Ocean Springs. I'm glad to hear that your family is OK. I found the following and thought it might be your best place for info.....

The local newspaper in coastal Mississippi, the Sun-Herald, has reporters posting to a blog. They are posting lots of info including their newspaper stories on the storm. Their main story for today is a pretty good overall view of the damage in Biloxi/Gulfport

http://eyesonkatrina.blogspot.com

Unfortunately, the news doesn't sound good, but hopefully being able to know what is going on will be better than not knowing!

I'll be thinking of you!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey, it's me again... I just wanted to tell you that I was able to speak to my parents today and they are doing fine with little damage to their house. I think a few shingles were off, but that was it. All of the cell phones are down in MS and LA. The only way they were able to call was because a neighbor had a Nextel phone that he somehow rigged to work. I think it was the only working phone. My parents said that they were all safe at JC. I don't know the extent of the damage, but do know that the coast was hit pretty hard. They are saying this storm was worse and did more damage than Camille. I know how it feels to be far away and not know what is going on so I hope this helps a little. At least you know our fam. is safe. Mary Mahoney's is gone along with most of the houses and businesses along Biloxi beach. I just wanted to let you know that the power is down and cell phones are down all over MS so it is hard to get in touch with anyone. I love you tons and will talk to you soon.
JIll

Jill said...

Casey, everyone in State College (and Illinois) is thinking about your family and is keeping them in our thoughts. Thanks to everyone for posting this information.

Anonymous said...

Casey john austin and I talked with mom the house is fine and there is absolutley no damage to the house what a miracle. john austin and I bought two generators to send down for Mom and Joe along with plenty of gas. The devastation is amazing the bridge is gone casinos are across highway 90 and nothing remains from the water to the railroad including all briges. This one was much worse than Camille and I don't know if the coast will ever get back to normal. Granny's house old is desrtoyed and there wasn't any insurance. Power is out on the coast for the next month at the bare minimum. I know this is all tough to hear but I know you need the truth. Hattiesburg is leveled as well but everyone in Purvis is fine. Dr. holland lost the clinic so keep his family in your prayers. Jake, Piper, and flecther are all fine and so is everyone you know I still have'nt got a hold of dad but I'll let you know when I do. I love you and I'm very proud of you. Morgan Maugh

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey,
Mr. Pitalo here. :-) I spoke with my dad earlier today. He said this was one of the worst storms he's ever seen. Pretty much everything on east beach was leveled, like your brother said, the OS/Biloxi bridge was all but destroyed, several apartment complexes were leveled. The first four houses on front beach had water in them and are probably ruined. There was a tornado that passed near by the high school and took out most of my dad's shop. I don't know if any damage was done to the schools, but when I find out, I'll try to relay info. WLOX has some arial footage of Biloxi/Gulfort areas on their web site that's pretty unbelievable.

Starkville came out of the storm ok. We had some trees down and some minor power outages, but other than that we're fine here. Hope all is well with you.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Casey,
I'm Heather, Celeste Maugh's neice. Your dad and Celeste are fine. Nobody has heard from Andrew, but it looks like someone has been at Heather's apartment. They left a note there. I'll do my best to keep you informed with news of them. They have no power or water but are not inclined to leave the area yet. I know it's hard to be away. I'm in Chicago.
Love, Heather

Anonymous said...

Casey,
This is Kent.
I'm very glad to hear your family is ok.
My father has left D'Iberville after weathering the hurricane and said that a fireman said it would be at least a month before power was restored.
There are shelters for displaced people all the way up the state, including some here in Oxford.
You would be proud of the way Mississippi is handling this disaster. People are rallying and doing what they can.
New Orleans is on the exact other end of the spectrum. 80% of the city is under water because a couple of levies broke and it's flooding the city from Lake Ponchatrain. To make matters worse, there is widespread looting and armed gangs roaming the streets. God have mercy on all of those people.
Amazingly, everyone I've been in contact with has been ok. Houses have been destroyed, but people are safe. If you're worried about someone in particular or an area, let me know and I'll see what I can find out. A friend has a cell phone that somehow consistently works and he lives in Gulf Hills. So if there is anything I can do, let me know.
Kent

Anonymous said...

Hey Casey:
Brian here...I am horrified by the images and the words I read on-line, but I am relieved knowing that my dear friends and their families are doing relatively well. It is frustrating being in New England and not being able to help out more directly, but my thoughts and prayers are with everyone. I hope you can find comfort in knowing that your family and friends are safe. An update on a distant association...Val and her husband Paul made it out of New Orleans on Saturday and are safe at Val's parents in Montgomery. Their house has not been subject to flooding (the last I heard) but their neighborhood is subject to looting. Please continue to let us know how we can help you out, and keep promoting peace in your immediate area of the world. Love,
Bri

PS It is good to hear from my old OS crew. I have been worried about you all and I continue to send my thoughts and prayers to you all.

Anonymous said...

Casey, Casey, I am so relieved to find out Betty Sue, Duke, Joe, Pat and Tom are ok. This is your Aunt Lynda. We are in Fort Walton Beach Florida. We are fine and the house and shop survived with minimal damage. They are letting no one south of the tracks unless they lived there and are escorted. Hope Doug, Judee, and Robyn are ok. Have you heard? The best footage of the coast damage is on www.wlbt.com. They should win an award for all of their fly overs and reporting. They are out of Jackson. It's really normal bad hurricane damage north of the tracks along the coast. I love you so much and I am so so proud of you and your service. Take care sweetie.
Love,
Auntie Lynda

Anonymous said...

Aunt Lynda again, by the way thanks for putting this site on my computer before you left!!!!

Anonymous said...

i lov you can you come see me
love
whitney

Anonymous said...

Casey,
It's Meach...Just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you and all the OS crew. If there is anything I can do please let me know. Love you and all the OS crew.....
meach

Anonymous said...

Casey, hi - it's Mrs. Leasa. I am in Starkville with my kids, Jackie & Maggie. Jackie & I came up last Saturday for an overnight visit, and are still here! Things are ok in Purvis - no one had any serious damage (except some of our families who were mobile home dwellers). George & Jane had some roof damage - the big pecan tree next to the dining room came down on the house (George fell off the roof yesterday while trying to cut the limbs off the house but somehow managed to land on his feet - isn't that just like him?) and did some roof damage, but not too extensive. We have kept up with your family thru your brothers before they left, but mostly thru this site. I thought it was quite ironic that I could get more information about the coast here than anywhere else. I spent the day before the storm reading all of your postings - what a great writer you are! I feel as though I was there with you. We are all so very proud of you and what you are doing, and it's very exciting to be able to follow along with your adventures. Keep up the good work and the reports back. Love to you.

Anonymous said...

From: RT Woosley
September 5, 2005
Casey,
Just talked with your dad and Celeste. They are fine and fairly comfortable with power, water and sewage. They say there is ample food for the time being, but like every one else along the Gulf there is a severe gas shortage. They are busying themselves, now that the parsonage and church are again sealed from the weather, with slowly trying to enlarge the circle of people they can help.
We finally reached them at a new cell # 228-238-7295.
Hope that all is well for you in the land of Hurricane formation.
Love,
Unca Woos

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey,

It's Kat. I am so relived your family and your home are Ok. I was so worried and was at the beach and couldn't check thei internet. I was so nervous to log on to your blog. I am sorry for the devastation that has been caused to your hometown and friends. Please let me know if I can help in anyway. I will keep them in my prayers.

Love you and miss you.

-Kat

Anonymous said...

Casey, Hey honey. I am at MGCCC, Duke's office, where we spent the storm. We are recovering quite nicely here, still shoveling mud, but less of it each day. Yesterday the garage door we had been babying since the storm, fell off on John Austin and Morgan - gee, I hope they don't sue.

Sandra comes back to her flooded house today, so we will be helping her this weekend and back to work on Monday. Students will return Wednesday. We are the first school to return, as most aren't going back until October. Anyway, we love you. And a Salvation Army guy gave me a large box of green granola bars to send to you. As soon as we get the post back, I'll send them to you. I LOVE YOU! MOM

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey--

It's Jackie Robinson. So glad to hear that your family weathered the storm ok. Gulf Shores/Mobile had some damage, but not anything compared to MS and LA. I'm back at Ochsner in New Orleans to help out for the next couple of weeks. My apartment isn't exactly safe yet, so I'm camped out in my office here at the hospital. All in all, though, New Orleans is bouncing back. We've already opened up services here at Ochsner for patients still in town and relief workers. I feel very safe since the National Guard is at every corner I turn. It's a very surreal time to say the least-- just very sad.

Miss you and hope you are doing well!