I think it’s going to be a while until I am able to post this entry. I won’t be going to Praia for at least a week or so. I’m completely happy not having to go to the “city” for a week! Last week, I had to go three days in a row and then went on Saturday too. I’ll be living in Praia for the next two years, so I’m happy not to be going there often.
Let me describe for you exactly how I get to Praia (or anywhere on the island for that matter). Here in Cape Verde the main form of transportation is a Hiace (pronounced yasi). The hiaces are essentially vans with four rows of seats. These vehicles have “jump seats” that fold up on the ends so that people can move in and out of the vans. In a standard 15 passenger van, there is enough room on the sides to move between seats. In an effort to keep these vans small, these folding seats were installed! Okay, so if there are four rows of seats, these vans comfortably seat 12 people. I can honestly say that I have NEVER ridden in a hiace with fewer than 15 people (and that’s a rare treat). Typically the hiace drivers cram in at least 21 people. This also includes women traveling to and from the markets with their buckets full of an assortment of things (mangos, fish, strange meat, etc). Hiace drivers also will allow animals to ride in the vans. I have yet to experience a long hiace ride with a goat, but I hear it’s quite a treat. Aside from the crowded cars (oh, I’ve been in a hiace with 25 people, including children on laps and people crammed in between jump seats and regular seats) there is the issue of driver safety (and sanity). We were told to ALWAYS check the tires on the hiace (yeah right, I’m sure we’re going to go over and kick the driver’s tires!). We were also told to ALWAYS make sure the driver hasn’t been drinking. I am almost 150% positive that we rode with a drunk driver coming back from Assomada last weekend. At any rate, the scariest part about a ride in these death traps is that the drivers are mostly insane. The roads on Santiago wind through the mountains, which means that the hiace drivers have to constantly navigate around hairpin turns and animals in the roads. They also have to contend with detours and bad roads. Considering all of these obstacles, you would think these drivers might drive somewhat safely…. NOPE! These men are crazy, they drive at about 60-70 miles per hour at all times. They pass each other when any normal human being would recognize that waiting would be rational. They tail one another just to piss each other off. They play chicken with each other (and their passengers). It’s quite an experience to be riding with 20 other people and realize that you are pretty much the only person fazed by the driving and the condition of the driver. I guess everyone is used to this. OH, well I can’t complain too much. It actually only costs 70 cents to get to Praia (about a 30 minute ride), and it costs about $1.20 to get to Assomada (an hour long ride). Transportation is VERY, VERY cheap here! Well, I’m just happy I don’t have to ride in a hiace for at least another week! Okay, I’m out. Txau, ti logu.
No comments:
Post a Comment