Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The market

I have discovered that shopping at the open-air market on the Plateau is far better than shopping at the local mini-markets or larger grocery stores, at least for veggies and fish and the herbs. The open-air market has about 200 vendors, all women. The main part of the market is veggies, these are in the center. On the sides of the market are the fish and meat vendors (these areas are a little scary, but they sell excellent fresh TUNA for a very, very good price). The very center of the market is where you can get fresh herbs.

I have visited the market on several occasions and have found lots of exciting things. Just this morning, I bought beautiful green leafy lettuce (they don't have iceberg lettuce, thank goodness), 6 georgeous/homegrown tomatoes, 2 onions, 2 huge green onions (they are very different here than our small bunches of scallions in the states), 1 head of garlic, and 1 cucumber. I got all of this for a mere 340 escudos (about $3.10, US). And from another woman, I purchased 4 carrots and she threw in a zuchini because I am from Sao Domingos and so is she!!! Sweet. I love the perks of knowing people in this town. I have two women that I buy from on a regular basis because they give me a good deal and I know they aren't trying to hike up the prices because I'm an American. AND, if they don't have what I'm looking for, they will walk me over to one of their friends and ask her to help me with what I need. Now that's helpful. I also have a woman in the fresh herbs section that helps me out! It's really nice to get everything I need to cook dinner at the market and it's fun to see the ladies. They always ask me how I am and give me kissed on the cheeks. It makes my day to head up to the market because I get to practice my Crioulu and I am meeting lots of nice women there.

Okay, that's all for now. Just thought I'd fill you in on my latest, greatest pleasure in life. Txau, ti logo.

No comments: