Saturday, October 08, 2005

Breast Cancer


I have not heard of many women with breast cancer in this country. In fact, it's pretty rare in countries were over-processed food (like fast food) has not yet spread. There has been some interesting research linking cancer (particularly breast cancer) to the "fast food" countries. But this entry isn't about research or statistics or the lack of breast cancer in Cape Verde. This is about a woman, my neighbor in Sao Domingos, who lost her battle with the disease last week.

Francesca, has three children (ages 10, 12, 17). These kids have been taking care of their mother for the past year and a half. She has been bedridden for that long, after returning from a masectomy in Portugal. She is a very good friend of my family, so I spent time at her bedside speaking with her and spending time with her. Her children were my friends. I spent time practicing English with them and they helped me with my Creole. Her children are incredibly wonderful and strong. I attended the visitation (with the family, which is different than in the states) where I got to see the children and talk with them a bit. I'm not sure what will happen to them now, but I do know that Cape Verde is a wonderfully community-oriented place. The children will be well taken care of here by my family and others.

This blog entry is a tribute to this woman, who, by the time I knew her had gone from a vivacious mother to a skeleton of a woman. She is survived by some wonderful kids that I am glad I know. The picture: Junior, the 10 year old son of Francesca.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

people lose loved ones every day. God be with her children.