Friday, June 08, 2007

BIG NEWS

I haven't posted on my blog in some time, so I am trying to catch up! The BIG NEWS is that I am staying in Cape Verde. I have decided to open an English Language school here in Mindelo with my two fellow PC volunteers. We are excited to open our doors in September! This is a huge deal and we are nervous and thrilled all at the same time. We are mostly nervous because we have to raise $65,000 and we aren't sure how that's going to go down. So, if any of you readers out there have several thousand sitting around, you can send it my way! No seriously, if you do have a little extra to send our way, we'd appreciate it!

Okay, so that's the big news. I'm staying here and opening a school, GULP! No, I am very anxious to get this thing off the ground. We are catering to adult English education and will work with business clients too. We are hoping to do some good work with translations as well. Most importantly, we are trying to do this in a way that is cost effective for Cape Verdeans. We are purchasing textbooks and workbooks for the school that students can use rather than having to pay for their own book and workbook. This part of the business will cost us $12,500, which is the part I am trying to get donations for. I already have some nice gifts from friends and family as I try to raise this large amount. I hope that we can get the books and give people a chance to get a good education at a very small cost to them!

So, wish me well. I suppose my next blog will be coming soon! I officially finish my Peace Corps service on August 8th! I will get to go home for a bit and then return for the opening of our school, English Unlimited!

1 comment:

LisaShawn said...

Hi, Casey! Can't wait to see you in August. I've heard quite a few stories about the infamous Jackson this year. I'm sure he's ready to see you too! Lisa