It is Sunday afternoon and a beautiful day in Cape Verde. I am happy to report that I have been going to the beach for the past 3 days and loving it. The water is nice and the winds have died down now. Yesterday afternoon I went to my first "semi-pro" soccer game. Two teams from the Mindelo area played. The fans were crazy. It was as if I was at an SEC game. It was great. The teams were both good. The crowd favorite, Academica, won, but I dare say they were not the better team. They scored two goals off of corner kicks and one goal that was completely by chance. I would have liked to have seen the other team win becaue the crowd was so obnoxious about "their" team that they were rude to the other team. At any rate, it was fun and a great event to really experience another part of the culture here in Sao Vicente.
Tomorrow we head back to school. We have until the end of June until the semester is finished, so we are far from the end. I know schools in the states are within countdown range, so I envy you all! But, in brighter news, my MOM will be visiting me soon. She is planning a trip in May! I absolutely cannot wait. This is also a wake up call to anyone who still wants to visit... I only have about 3 1/2 months of service left here in Cape Verde! Come on over, the water is nice...
3 comments:
It is nice to hear that the people where you live have a great appreciation of the only real sport there is. I bet you thought of the old fighting hawks when you at the game, yes no??
-JG
Hello Honey! Yes, I am so glad that I finally have a ticket. I don't really know quite what to think about Cape Verde Airlines, an airline that doesn't answer the phone or call back messages, that has an email that bounces back...I sure hope their planes perform better. Now I need to find out about getting a visa...MOM
Happy Easter Casey (a week late)! Sorry to hear about the USM job, but I know something good will happen for you soon!
Chris and I just got back from a weekend in Atlantic City...saw somewhat of a sporting event ourselves...we went to see Cage Fury Fighting (like Ultimate Fighting where pretty much anything goes). Kind of crazy, huh?! Not that we're big fans of fighting, but my brother's former wrestling buddy was fighting for the first time, so a bunch of us went to see it. It was interesting...and a little brutal to say the least. At least 5 of the 13 matches ended in people "tapping out" because they were being choked out or the other person was almost breaking their arm or leg. It was nuts!
Well, I hope things are going well...for you and the little black kitty. :( That story made me so sad. Glad to hear from Jill that Jackson is peeing in the tub! haha!
ok, take care!
LOVE, steph
Post a Comment