Thursday, April 26, 2007

Opening Day




After attending a day at the beach, I was invited to opening day at the newly improved Mindelo soccer stadium. The renovation included new plastic grass which is the greenest thing I've ever seen in this country. There were some opening events such as someone important kicking a ball toward the goal (sort of like throwing out the first pitch). Just before the big game was to begin, the President of the local government gave a speech. She said that she was restricting the field to private use only and began to harrass the crowd by saying that she had been blackmailed by the soccer federation. She is a bit crazy. At any rate, the crowd booed her and left. She said that she wouldn't permit the game because of some political infighting. Then the game went on anyway in the form of a scrimmage. It was quite an eventful event! As you can see, the field is very pretty, but I'm not sure how much use it will get considering the problems with the local government! Ah, third world politics!

No comments: