I just got internet set up at home. I have been writing these posts and waiting for the internet. It takes forever to upload things from home, so I'm just putting it all together!
Getting adjusted to not having internet access
Having moved from Praia, where I had free internet access in two different places, I am having a hard time adjusting to having to pay for internet use. As a result, I am rarely using the internet in an effort to save some money.
Luckily, Elizabeth and I have decided to get dial-up internet at home. Though this will mean that I am paying about $20 a month for the service and use, I will have more regular access to email and to blogging. Okay, now, I’m up and on the internet!!! YEAH.
Calhau
On Saturday afternoon at about 4, I was invited to head down to a beach that is about a 20 minute drive across the island from the city of Mindelo. The little farming town of Calhau is really not much more than some rustic housing and more greenery than I have seen anywhere else on this island. Oh, to clarify, the island that I used to live on was the biggest of the 9 tiny islands. Now I am living on one of the smallest, hence the crossing the island in 20 minutes.
At any rate, we got to Calhau (myself and two other volunteers as well as an Austrian woman who is volunteering here and her Capeverdean boyfriend). We got off the bus and started the 20 minute walk toward a remote beach. As soon as we got near the beach, I could see the waves! They were awesome. Really, the biggest waves I’ve seen in Cape Verde. Nice for surfing. And, luckily, Joseph, the Capeverdean guy happened to have a surfboard. So, I got to try surfing for the first time in my life. What a tough sport. The waves were so big that I could do nothing more than just paddle out and turn around and ride them all the way back to the shore. It was AMAZING. So much fun. I have a nice war wound on my hip from a wipeout, but it was worth it. We also got to see the sun set in the surrounding mountains, which was gorgeous. I can’t wait to get out to Calhau again. I was invited to go again the next day, but it was Elizabeth’s birthday party, so I stayed home! But, I’m in on the next day trip.
Elizabeth’s birthday
On Sunday, September 24th, we celebrated Elizabeth’s (my roommate) 64th birthday. In Cape Verde, as I have mentioned before, you are responsible for throwing your own birthday party. For this particular festa, Elizabeth, who grew up in Brasil, made Feijoada. This is a dish made of black beans and all different meats. She served it over rice and we had collard greens with garlic as well as some fried green bananas! It was an excellent meal. And luck for me, we have plenty left for many meals to come. I love rice and beans, so this is right up my alley. I have lucked out to have a roommate who really likes to cook and likes to eat what I cook. Things are going really well with Elizabeth. She has so many interesting life experiences and things to share. I am constantly learning so much and I really appreciate that.
I HAVE A MAID
That’s right, I’m living the good life… finally. I have a maid who comes to clean our house twice a week and washes my clothes (which I absolutely hate doing). I have never had it so good. This morning, Leisha came to the house, she stayed for 4 hours and cleaned immaculately. Everything is beautiful and my clothes are all clean and I didn’t have to do the scrubbing!
The best part about it is that we only pay her about $30 a month (meaning I only pay $15) for her to come twice a week every week. That’s a good deal in any country. That fits perfectly into our budget and makes life so much easier. In Cape Verde, it’s difficult to keep up with all the dust and dirt that is constantly entering the house! I must say that Mindelo is a heck of a lot cleaner than Praia. Not as much dust and hardly any mosquitoes or bugs. It’s much, much nicer.
Also, I have been running on the beach in the evenings, which is just lovely. I promise that as soon as we have internet, I’ll get some photos posted to the blog! Until then, hold tight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Casey,
Sorry I haven't written in a while, but I'm glad to hear your doing okay.We just sold our house yesterday and are now officially homeless. Blaine made three today and we're having a birthday party tomorrow. I wish you could be here. Anyway, we have lots going on but we miss you. Talk to you soon.
Nikki
Post a Comment