Monday, June 19, 2006

my vacation



I just returned from a wonderful 10 day trip to Sao Vicente. It was a great time to get away and just relax. My friend David took me up to the top of Monte Verde, where it was both cold and cloudy. We couldn't see much, but we met an older couple who fed us and hung out with us for a while before giving us a ride back down to the bottom of the mountain. They were really generous and very sweet. Come to find out they live very near David's house, so I ended up seeing them just about every day after that. When I move to Sao Vicente, I'll already know a couple of people!

We looked a some apartments while I was there. It was hard to find places, and we spent a lot of time just walking around chasing leads. Finally, I got to visit a place that David had already checked out before my arrival. It is beautiful. The apartment is on the 3rd floor, has built in closets, 3 bedroom, and 2 bathrooms. The roof has a view of the entire city. It's an amazing place, but might be in a questionable location. I am passing on the details to PC and they will make the decision about safety. In the meantime, David is checking out some more places for me.

On Thursday, after being in Mindelo nearly a week, we headed to the neighboring island of Santo Antao to visit the city of Paul. Paul is a 45 minute boat ride followed by a 2 hour car ride from Mindelo, but boy is it worth it. I have posted a picture here for you to see... A fellow volutneer was nice enough to take us in for the weekend and give us a great tour of the place. We went to school with Alli for her last day of classes, then we rode up to the mouth of the ribera. This is one of the most beautiful places I've been. And as most of you know, I've been a lot of places... This is an amazing island, and it is nothing like the other islands. It's crazy how different each site is. It's what makes traveling here so interesting. When ANYONE decides to come visit me, you'll get to see this place too, I promise!

Well, on an interesting note, when David and I were returning on the boat from Santo Antao, we were talking about when his house was robbed. He lost everything, including a video camera. We were saying it would be likely that the camera would show up at an upcoming music festival on Sao Vicente this summer. Just as we were finished with this conversation, David saw a guy with a camera bag that looked oddly familiar. He asked the guy if he could check out his camera because his was stolen some months ago and he was curious. SURE ENOUGH, it was his camera. David took the guy to the police station where they are holding the camera. The guy with the camera on the boat turned out to have "borrowed" it from a friend. Now they friend has to come talk to the cops, but David will get his camera back. Also, the guy on the boat turned out to be the "famous" Cape Verdean rap star, Mo Green. Weird world.

Alright, I'll try to write and post more from my adventures soon.

No comments: