Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I'm moving again

No, I'm not changing houses again. I have been asked to move to the island of Sao Vicente, one of the northern islands in September. There is a branch campus of ISE in the city of Mindelo that has requested 2 volutneers. These two volutneers would be teaching and working on helping the English department become stronger. My coordinator at ISE recently visited the Mindelo campus and upon return asked me to move there. I am SOOOOO excited. This is a great opportunity for me to really work on getting our sister department working as well as we do here in Praia. I am also excited about living in a new town, speaking a different Creole, and meeting new people. This is a rare treat to get to change sites in the middle of service, so I feel very blessed. I will be helping with training this summer, and then afterward, I will be moving to Mindelo for my last year of service. I just hope I can do a great job there. I've been told that I probably won't be teaching, rather I will be coordinating workshops for inservice training and assessing the needs of the department and working with the teachers there to make a difference. I am absolutely, completely, totally thrilled. Oh, and I'm headed to Mindelo this week, on Friday, for vacation to check out the school and find a place to live!!!!!!!!!

The other exciting news is that I am getting a dog, Max. My friend and co-worker, Deanna, just left for the states today for 3 months. She will be having her first child there with her family. Her husband will be headed to the states in August and they would like me to take their dog. They feel that having the dog and the baby will be difficult. Deanna chose me to take the dog because she knows I'm an animal lover! I just can't stand to see such a cool dog without a home. Max is an awesome dog. He's fun and playful and he's loyal and sweet. I think it'll be just perfect. I will be getting him August 6th, so I have a little time to prepare for this adventure. A new dog, a new island, a new job.... so many changes and they're all WONDERFUL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. It sounds like things are moving the way you wanted. Remember what Morgan and I told you about our surprise. Just let us know as soon as you know. We really want that to happen. I think it would be so much fun for everyone. I have a job interview on Thursday so keep your fingers crossed. We move to Birmingham next Wednesday. We really like the place, it is right beside the Summit.

Miss you and talk to you soon

Holly

Kurtis North said...

Casey,

So you are an animal lover huh?

Me too. But only if it gets cold enough.

(please tell me you know where that line is from).

That all sounds really cool. I am just trying to catch up on your blog (and mine), so I will probably drop a few more sarcastic inane and self congratulatory comments here and there.

Kurt