Being back in Cape Verde after 6 weeks away has been different than I ever could have imagined. I got off the plane after 24 hours of traveling only to smell the ocean breeze, again for the first time. I returned to my home only to find dust everywhere, as usual. I walked through my neighborhood and all of the old feelings of familiarity were different. When I left, after 7 months here, I felt as if I blended in with my surroundings (even if others still noticed me). Now, I feel like people are again staring at the American girl. I feel conspicuous in a way that I forgot about. Also, Cape Verdeans have no problem telling you that you have gained a little weight. I was sitting on a couch for a month, so I gained maybe 5 pounds and everyone is pointing it out! Thanks folks. But here, it's a compliment, not a critique. When you are heavier, you are healthier. I understand that in theory, but hearing it stinks. I also have lost my swiftness with the language. I mean, I still understand and can communicate, but I forget words that I know I knew before I left! It's a little frustrating, but I'll be back in tip top shape before you know it.
The best part of being back so far was going to class this morning at 7:30. My wonderful students threw me a surprise party today. They made cake, pastels, and quiche. It was excellent. They made me big signs that said "We missed you, casey" and "We love you, Casey." It was soooo wonderful. They gave me presents and lots of hugs. I have a student, Alice, who made me 3 peices of "renda." Renda is very intricate knitting. The Cape Verdean women sell these for quite a bit of money because they are elaborate. These renda are similar to lace and they are to be placed on coffee tables and dining tables, as lace is in the states. A long time ago, Alice wrote in an essay that she makes renda. I told her that I wanted to buy some of her renda to remember CV. Today, she gave me it as a gift. I was so moved. The three peices she made are georgeous. They are elaborately made with flower shapes and they are yellow! I love them!
This has been a special return made wonderful by my friends, colleagues, and students. I am so blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Casey
Well it sounds like your return home was wonderful and I know you are so glad to be there. We miss you so much and we are glad we got to spend time with you while you were here. thank you for all you did during the wedding. It went by so fast I hardly knew it happened at all. I hope your foot is feeling better and we will talk to you soon.
Love
Holly and Morgan
Oh and Morgan says Hey!!
I'm so happy you got home without any incidents. Uneventful flying is the best. Things here are busier than ever. I enjoyed our time together. New insight and deeper appreciation for the people God has placed in my life. I wish you well and I'll get the supplies off soon. You know I'm always late. I love you. Celeste
Post a Comment