Saturday, July 30, 2005

My address

Some people either don’t have my address or lost my address, so I am posting it here. I have yet to receive any mail, so it’d be great to get some. We have figured out that it takes about 2 weeks to get here!!! Here it is:

Casey Maugh, PCT
A/C Corpo da Paz
C.P. 373 – Praia
Republic of Cape Verde

It is best if you ask the mail carrier to try to see that the mail is routed through Boston (if possible). Boston is familiar with Cape Verde, as Boston has the highest population of Cape Verdans living outside of the country!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having just logged on to your site I am jealous of the adventure you are on. Seems that all is well and exciting still? Nations outside the USA have a way of existing that works well for them, getting into their spiritual and cultural flow may be challenging. I finished reading the book by Brian Mclaren it was an interesting dialogue with salient points. I finished it while on vacation/conintuing ed. at Lake Junaluska. I miss you and will try to remember to log on more frequently, I will use the snail mail address to forward a note. Continue in God's Graces and those Graces will provide all. I love you. Dad.

Anonymous said...

Having just logged on to your site I am jealous of the adventure you are on. Seems that all is well and exciting still? Nations outside the USA have a way of existing that works well for them, getting into their spiritual and cultural flow may be challenging. I finished reading the book by Brian Mclaren it was an interesting dialogue with salient points. I finished it while on vacation/conintuing ed. at Lake Junaluska. I miss you and will try to remember to log on more frequently, I will use the snail mail address to forward a note. Continue in God's Graces and those Graces will provide all. I love you. Dad.

Anonymous said...

Having just logged on to your site I am jealous of the adventure you are on. Seems that all is well and exciting still? Nations outside the USA have a way of existing that works well for them, getting into their spiritual and cultural flow may be challenging. I finished reading the book by Brian Mclaren it was an interesting dialogue with salient points. I finished it while on vacation/conintuing ed. at Lake Junaluska. I miss you and will try to remember to log on more frequently, I will use the snail mail address to forward a note. Continue in God's Graces and those Graces will provide all. I love you. Dad.

Anonymous said...

Having traveled extensively in arid regions of the world and having grandparents that lived in the backwoods of Mississippi when I was a child, I can relate to the systems and culture of water use.
In the arid regions of Australia most businesses and homes are also equipped with a tank that collects water from the roof. Their system is, however, protected in that water runs off the roof into gutters (like you have at home) and into a holding tank that is regularly treated with disinfectant, mostly to kill the samonellae that would be prevalent in bird feces. The water is then filtered and generally meets accepted standards for drinking water. A similar system is also used on the Pelican in the Chandeleurs where Duke is as we speak except that the water is generally neither treated nor filtered but this water is used just for bathing.
Visiting my grandparents in Mississippi, particularly my grandfather who lived in the deep woods and apart from my grandmother, I was always eager to walk down to the spring to get fresh water with my granddad.That spring water was always cool and very refreshing. But then there was that trek back up hill to the 'house' where there was no running water. Bathing was done once or twice a week as a communal endeavor down at the creek. Women and children 'bathed' in one spot and men in another, literally bathing in the spring fed creek but far away from the spring for the drinking water of course.
That was back in the 50s.
So I guess that one could say that Cape Verde is doing what most arid countries usually do and that is make full use of their sparse natural water resource but the system probably could be improved by conveying the water to within the house from the overhead tank and by using disinfectant and covering the tank.
But, the entire lesseon here is one of experience and learning that cultures of the world are different based on many things from their availability of natural resources to the religion that they we born into. We here in the States are all too often laboring under the assumption that the world is like us but it is not. The majority of the world is neither Christian nor white. Different cultures and bioethnicities is what truly makes the world a great place to live and visit.
Enjoy yourself and the adventure.
Do good work and stay humble.

Love ya kid,

Bigtom and Miss Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey Maugh!!!! This is Melissa! I have just logged onto your website to see if you have had time to write and had SOOOOOOO much to read. Let me just start by saying that you are just absolutely amazing to me. I have cried 5 times in reading your stories (surprise surprise) out of joy, excitement, and just good old plain pride! I am going to be the friend that writes in this and is not the most intelligent but hopefully the most full of gossip of the day! I know that a change of pace in seriousness will be a good one so I am going to make that my job! But before I go into that, you said that you didn't know much about the outside world. Their have been some serious bombings in London over the past few weeks and security had heightened both there and here in New York. There are cops at almost every subway stop that are suppose to be searching random people's bags. You can refuse the search but then you are not allowed on the train! Anyways, I have still yet to see ANYONE be searched but I am sure that it is happening somewhere! Let me know if you want any more detail on this whole issue and I will be glad to give you correct and up-to-date details!

So, do you want me to send you newspaper clippings or anything of that sort? Are you allowed to receive small packages or just regular paper mail? Let me know please!

I wrote down your address from this site and am going to email it to the HC crowd. I figure it is the least I can do to hopefully encourage someone to send a little mail your way.

As for general news. As of yesterday, I finally got a more decent raise. I have been "discussing" this with the business manager for over a month and I came just under $50 of my request. At least now I will be able to pay my bills each month AND have money for a few necessities and maybe even a little food!

DRAMA on the forefront! I thought I should give you the daily gossip as well. I don't know if you received my email or not but Madison is engaged to Brian. This is the guy that she befriended over the past few years that has come to be "the one" here recently. Brian just got a new job in Charlotte so Madison is in the process of trying to put her house on the market, plan a wedding, and move to Charlotte for the next few years. Their plan is to definitely come back to lower AL or FL though. Courtney came home for a few weeks and was actually here for the engagement. She is scheduled to come home in late November/early December from Iraq. Bradford Clay is Thailand and returns on August 1st. He went with his brother on a mission and only had to pay for his ticket over there and then the rest would be taken care of. Leann has, once again, found "the one". She is currently living in Charlotte, along with BCH and soon to be Madison, and is soaking up her time with the new guy! Carrie is no longer with Josh Neese after a late night phone call to come pick him up before he and his friends got taken to jail. (i think that is accurate but not 100%) Jackie is dating Ryan Turner and that seems to be going well. She goes to see him almost every weekend and she seems to be very happy from what I have heard. Coretta is starting graduate school in Birmingham starting mid August. She is going to go towards the Hospital Administration area like Jackie. She is super excited and seems to be doing well. Jared Lyles has supposidly started his own practice and is doing very well. Quill is loving Denver and has a new mid 40's boyfriend who drives a motorcylce! Of course he is a regular and is just "so nice". My comment to this was, "Quill, they are ALL nice int the beginning. The beginning isn't the problem for you!!" hahah Anyways, Quill will be Quill right?

As for me and Miss Aimee we are doing just fine. Aimee just finished a 6 week intensive dance project at the BAC on 37th St. That is the Barishnikov Arts Center, yep she met Misha!!!! As did I this past Thursday! She of course has seen him extensively while working with fellow classmates of ours but I still got to shake his hand! Very cool, very cool.

PHEWWWWW - other than ALL of that, I am counting down the days to my visit to the south, August 11th where I will enjoy a weekend with Jackie, Madison, Carrie, and Coretta and then a week with my girls from NYU at our friend Lauren's beach house on a secluded beach in FL. I can not wait to get out of the city - it just wears me out. Hopefully I will get my shit together soon and be able to start taking classes again so I won't continue to be depressed. I think now that Aimee is done we will start to rehearse as well.

I love you so much casey maugh and I love being taken through your awesome experience. I am going to email your mom to get your phone number but I am not sure how much it will be to call you! Please keep up the faith and good work and now that I am thinking of you often.

Write soon if you can! Alpha love and mine FOREVER!!! Melissa
missh1997@hotmail.com
melissa@crossitoffyourlist.com

Jill said...

Casey, I am so upset to hear that you didn't get your mail yet. I sent you a birthday card the second week of June to make sure it got to you on time! If it does get to you, I hope you enjoy the CD I made you. If it doesn't get to you, it is because I included a CD in it. (The mail lady made me fill out a customs claim card, so I'm going back to her if you don't receive it). I know that Megan sent you a package sometime last month as well-- hopeflly something will show up. I'm just not sure what the hold-up is. Darn it, now I am mad, the only card I actually mail in advance so that it is SURE to be there by your birthday and it is lost. Let me know if/when it FINALLY arrives. jILL

Anonymous said...

Casey,
This is going to be really random, but this is Mary Davis (previously Mary Claunch from Huntingdon). I got the address for this site from Melissa Beck! It is so awesome to read about all you are doing! I was actually thinking about you recently because I would love to get in touch with Dr. Szpiech and have no clue where to start. I know you were close to her so please let me know if you have any information on her. By the time I was a senior, her MS had flared up and she wasn't around. My email is marydavis@sw.rr.com You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

First time poster but long-time reader here. Your experience sounds amazing, and I can't wait to see everything firsthand when I haul my ass out there sometime next year. And I promise when you come back, we won't mock when you say "When I was in the Peace Corps" like we did with the whole Andes Mountains thing.

I also have to give a big shout out to Melissa Beck for the quite extensive alumni update. I had to take a nap after reading that post.

As expected, I'm loving Burlington. I've completed about 1/5 of the hikes in the Vermont trails book we bought when you were here. It really is pretty cool how close I am to so many remote areas. And Jake has become quite the boulder leaper.

Work is going well, but one girl in the office says "cool beans" a lot. Now I have no choice but to quit. Seriously, everyone is really cool and laid back. I do sometimes miss EAI, with those three hour lunches and badminton tourneys.

Kevin, Hadley and I are checking the blog and living vicariously through you. I'm really proud of what you're doing. It's just the kick in the ass I need to figure out how I can do some good for this world.

-Tim

Anonymous said...

another first timer here...i hope i am doing what i should, i don't have any kids to assure me.

wow...has it been a while. totally my fault, but long story (are there any short ones these days). casey maugh i am so excited for you and the experience on which you have just embarked. you have duties and obligations now that you never knew you had or would have but in the end will contribute to two of the best years you will ever have in your life (second to those with me of course.)

i myself just got back yesterday from thailand. what a short time compared to your years, but enough to impress such a great deal upon me. what a country and what a beautiful people! i don't have time know to talk or explain...i think in your country they call it 'jet lag.'

casey, for me, while there leave the US 40 degrees west and open your heart to what God wants you doing while there. you open your heart to Him and those people will be blessed beyond anything you could ever image you could do.

until again, you will be in daily prayers. and i ditto tim, i will let melissa keep you informed of the hc tree. and i what to know what meeting did i miss to get madison clayton?

God bless,
bradford clay

Anonymous said...

Casey- Hey well I have been reading the whole time you have been gone. I love hearing all that is going on in your life. It sounnds like a wonderful experience. I have had to keep your brother informed on everything that you have been writing. He says to tell you HEY and that he will write soon. Yeah we will see. Have a wonderful day and keep writing, I love your stories.
Holly

Anonymous said...

Goodness; no telling when you'll receive the big box I just put in the mail. I also mailed a letter the minute I read that you hadn't gotten anything in the post. After reading the other posts, it certainly looks like I'm not the only one living vicariously though your adventures. Your volunteering gives us a little feeling of contributing - after all we are all sacrificing you for 2 years! Love you so much, Mom

Anonymous said...

Seeing your picture made me miss you more than I already do. I leave for Gulfport Mississippi for 5 days of gambling and golfing, and of course some work, but i will think of you the entire time i am there.

The heat and humidity of the east coast about did me in. I flew to CO to see family and friends just to get out of the humidity for a while.

Work is good. Our organization has a PAC so we are busy interviewing candidates. Of course I stay busy by putting all the misinformed liberals who watch too much liberal media in their place. It is a dirty job, but I am a lobbyist so I guess that is what I get paid for!!!! Miss you

Brock

Anonymous said...

Casey: First time I have left a message on a blog! It sounds like everything is going well. I sent you a card some time back -- hope you received it by this time. I'll be sending you "stuff" periodically, so keep a look out. I'm proud of you and it you need anything let me know. Uncle Joe

Kurtis North said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kurtis North said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kurtis North said...

K No said...
As I read your Week 3 Blog, I thought, Casey needs to read the book I JUST finished..."The Sex Lives of Cannibals." And then I saw in the next paragraph that you had read it too. Weird. Well, as your adventures are heating up, mine are cooling off. I visited my abuelos, tios, and primos in Illinois a couple weeks back. My cousins who go to U of Wisc had a party and I ended up getting drunk playing (dominating) beer pong and a new game called Edward Forty(oz.)Hands. Then I hit on some 18 year-olds for while before ultimately getting rejected (I thought young'ns liked older dudes?) and finally passing out in the middle of the party. Look what'ur missin.

After that, I went to California to visit my soon-to-be-"x"-girlfriend. Visiting L.A. was a lot of fun (but why would you live there?), but being around my girlfriend for 12 straight days was a miserable failure. She actually got mad at me when I asked her how she wanted me to make her salad.

It is refreshing to see (and remember) that there are people who are easy-going...and if you are able to handle the stresses of moving to Africa without a problem, I am pretty sure you wouldn't get too stressed out about me asking where you keep the vegetables.

In other news, I start training for SP 200 tomorrow. I can't believe I am doing this again. But it gives me an oppurtunity to have a "real" job without a long-term commitment so that I can make plans to journey abroad again in January.

What else??? I have my 10 year high school reunion this weekend. Luckily I finished high school when I was 13, so I am not really that old now.

Speaking of aging, you forgot to wish me a happy bday on July 30th. So now we are even from when I forgot your bday last year while I was in Spain.

I took over Eric Aoki's apartment in Old Town (Studio 23). It will be interesting to see if I can keep that element of "coolness" Eric brought to that apartment. It will also be interesting to see if I can remove that element of "gayness" that Eric brought to that apartment. Since I will be hanging up several of his weenie paintings, this could be difficult.

Enough about me (those were 3 VERY difficult words to say). I hope you take every advantage of your time there. As I sit here contemplating my near and distant future and the decisions I need to make, your descriptions make the Peace Corp sound like a good option (especially the naked-women-bathing-in-the-front-yard thing). Once I actually get a paycheck rolling in here (I am on the last of my Euros from June), I will send you a care package of some American essentials.

And as we all know, I am known for having the biggest (and best) package from here to Cape Verde.

Take care, Kurt

A little hint: Ebola is not a thing like E-Trade.