Wireless internet has come to Mindelo. The unfortunate part is that the company with wireless towers is being held up in litigation by CV telecom. CV telecom is the ONLY phone/ internet company in Mindelo, holding a 100% monopoly on both these services, which also includes cell phones. Oh, I forgot to mention that CV telecom is a government owned entity. When the government owns these major services, they aren't too willing to allow competition to enter the picture, hence the delay on the wireless service. In theory, the wireless company will have an inauguration ceremony on Monday and run a week of testing to ensure the service is running well. The public should be able to use the service by the beginning of July.... IN THEORY! So, we are all waiting. The new service will be cheaper than the other service. Also, currently, the ADSL service only allows each account 1GB of downloading per month, which is not much, so not only is the service somewhat expensive, and requires a router, it also has a ridiculous limit on downloads. I am anxiously awaiting the new company. I have already registered with them and plan to be one of their first paying customers. The service will include unlimited downloading and has no contract, simply a monthly fee.
Hopefully by the beginning of July, I will have internet in my home and will be able to be in more frequent contact with everyone! Keep your fingers crossed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment