Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Domestic Violence

Yesterday, news came out that a local girl was murdered by her boyfriend. She was someone that I saw on a weekly basis; she worked in a grocery store that I frequent. Apparently, her boyfriend is a Military police officer, so he had a handgun. He beat her and then shot her. Today, the store where she worked had a picture of this very young (probably 19 year old) girl in their window. The local political headquarters had her picture and written next to it they stated that this was the second handgun crime this year. A march is being organized against violence and people are extremely shocked and saddened because Mindelo is a calm town and everyone knows this girl and her boyfriend. I have been moved to tears thinking about this girl and her death. I only hope that her life will have some meaning as people gather to talk about domestic violence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I hope yall are having a wonderful time! I am so sad I wanted to go with your mom so bad! Have fun and keep us posted on what yall are doing

Jill Meseke said...

Hi... My Mom and I were wondering what you girls are doing? We miss you and can't wait to see you sometime in the near future. Tell Betty Sue we said hello...
Love,
Jill and Aunt Pat