On Sunday, I got to hike to a new spot on the island! The place is in a valley behind the town of Calhau. We hiked over a ridge and started to head up the valley. On the way, it was sprinkling! It was crazy that just a few minutes up and out of town, we felt raindrops. Further up the valley, we encountered greenery! There were some big trees, Mangoes and such. There was a HUGE almond tree! That's right, an almond tree. So, we collected a ton of them. I didn't know that almonds look like figs when they are on the tree. Then you can eat the sweet outside and get to the shell. Then you can crack the shell and eat the almond!
So, we sat and used rocks to beat the almond shells open (very hunter-gatherer of us). And we hit the ripe ones out of the trees with sticks. I got them all home and decided to make "doce" out of the outer part. Doce means jam, basically. So, I boiled the fruit, got the sweet part, then cooked it down with sugar and added fresh lemon and orange juices. It tastes wonderful! It was my first time making any sort of jam. It's great. I have more to make and give away as Christmas gifts! I am sooo excited.
Well, my friend Ceasar (the one who saved my life), took some pictures. Once he gets them to me, I'll post them! Since my camera was stolen, I am pretty bummed that I can't get great photos anymore! Boo! :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment