Bafatada in Creole means to slap.
A couple of evenings ago I was leaving the PC office on my usual walk home. Just outside the office three little kids were standing there. Two of the boys, who were about 9 years old were in a fight. But this was the kind of fight were neither boy really wants to hit the other and they are just dancing around taking fake swings at each other. It was pretty funny to watch. I noticed that the kids also had a big pile of clothing that they had clearly stolen from people at the beach. As I was walking I saw one of the house guards come out and pretend to walk past the boys. Just as he approached the boys, he turned and slapped on of them upside the back of his head. At this point I was laughing because the whole situation was hilarious. The guard then smacked the other kid as he was trying to run away. The third kid was long gone by this point. The guard quickly picked up the pile of clothes as the boys were rubbing the back of their heads in disbelief. With the stolen clothes in hand and boys shoes and shirts, the guard went back inside the gate from which he came and locked the boys out. They realized what happened and were yelling at the guard to give their clothes back. He didn't respond and just stood behind the gate laughing at the boys.
It was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Those little boys totally desrved to be reprimanded for what they did and for acting stupid in the middle of the street. I really appreciate the way that adults teach children lessons here. In the states, you couldn't really get away with smacking someone else's kid around, but here, it's done for the common good. I hope those little boys got a lesson that day that they won't forget. I know I won't forget what happened!
5 comments:
Hey! That is such a cute story. In America people would die if we did that to their childern. I hope you are having a wonderful week. Talk to you soon.
love
Holly
Hey Casey, I like the blog's new look. Hope all is going well for you over in CV. Jackson is doing well. I am awaiting the first chipmunk/bunny/bird capture. We are starting that season now! I'll keep you posted.
jILL
Hey, this is sorta like the story i had recently of the cop in Costa Rica who I saw chasing the thief. When the cop caught the thief, he just punched him in the face. No questions, no handcuffs, and no Miranda BS. Just straight Rodney King style.
Considering this was a thief from the beach, where my backpack was recenlty stolen (only to be retrieved because of my crazy Justin Gatlin like 100m dash skills), I was happy to see this guy get knocked the f*ck out!
take care. and watch your clothes!
kurt
Hey! I just was sitting here waiting on my kids to get done with thier exams, and thought I wuld write you. I know you are as ready as I am to get done with school. Morgan and I are house and dog sitting this weekend for my parents. Morgan said it was like playing house!! He is so goffy. Hope your having a great week.
love ya
Holly
OK; that's it. You better come home now! Guns, shooting, ugh...I love you honey. BE CAREFUL. Love, MOM
Post a Comment