Much like in the US, students in Cape Verde must participate in student teaching in order to get their Bachelor's degree in a teaching field. In our English department at ISE, the students have been student teaching for a couple of months. The strange thing about student teaching in CV is that nearly all of the 20 something students are already teachers in high schools on the island. So basically we are working with them on teaching and how to do it well, but most of them are as good as we are. I have several students who have been teaching in high schools for 5 or 6 years. This means that we are giving them a grade on a skill they have been steadily improving upon for quite some time.
Being an advisor for this process is great and really inspiring because I know Cape Verde English teachers are good. They are meant to be in the classroom and they all want to be in the classroom teaching English. The best part is that teaching is not a last option here; it's a first option. Teaching is prestigious and valued. It's been a great experience, but I am happy that this semester is winding down! June 9th will be my last day of classes, and I'm not complaining one bit about it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey Casey!!
You sound so much like me. I am so ready for the school year to be over. I am not walking out of here on May 25 I am running out of here!!! I hope all is going well for you. Morgan is out of town Monday through Friday every week so I tell him we have a weekend marriage. We have come up with a fun surprise we want to share with you so we will get in touch with you about that. We miss you and love you
Holly and Morgan
PS the wedding pictures will be in on Tuesday we are so excited!!!
Hi Casey, glad to hear that things should be winding down soon. Our finals week starts tomorrow and I am ready for it to be over! What is on your agenda for the summer? Do they still have you teach or do you start on the outreach programs they mentioned in your invite materials? Keep us all posted. jILL
Hi Casey!!! Sounds like you have gotten right back in the swing of things. Glad we got to visit during Morgan's wedding!!! Next time you come back we will have to cook red beans and rice!!!
Love, Uncle Joe
Hey! I was just checking in on you. We got the wedding pictures in on Wednesday! I have not seen them yet, but my mom says that they are really great. I hope you got my email. Let me know what you think about that idea and then we can decided. Morgan will be home tonight. We are going to start the wedding summer off on Saturday with our first of seven weddings. We are just so gladours is over and we can enjoy the other people's weddings. Hope you have a great weekend and we will call soon.
Love ya
Holly
Post a Comment