Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A poem from a student

I have a student, Jose Luis, who turned in a writing assignment the other day. This assignment was meant to be a reflection of a Maya Angelou poem. Instead of writing about the poem, Jose Luis wrote a poem about me. I decided to post it here so that you could see what great, amazing students I have.

Everyday in my life I wonder
Who you are,
Who passed next to my door
And instead of knocking on it,
Just broke in.
You came slowly and mighty;
You talked, you sang, you taught;
You went and your words,
Remained, untouchable and unfinishable
But things you did, songs you sangs and sounds
you produced were soft, careless, and pleasant
I enjoyed finding out things through you;
I entrinsically motivated myself;
I found out wyself,
How important I am;
Receiving your patience and your dedication.
Everything you did was creating
Conditions and a sense of tolerance.
I want to take your blessing
And if it is possible
Give it to me while it is in time
Because your example is a good way
to be followed and also it si one of your treasures.
Takind serious the admiration you cause
Gives me the courage to say that
Someone created you and have lost the shape forever.
You are one of a kind!

Jose Luis followed this kind poem with these words:

Instead of writing a short essay about the poem you gave us, I made you a poem. For your dedication, the admiration I have for you as a teacher, as a woman, as a friend, as a human being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wiping eyes...that is beautiful! Consider yourself blessed.