Friday, August 01, 2008

school's out for summer..... school's out forever

In about 1 hour, I will be finished with school... completely. Well, in Cape Verde, at any rate. English Unlimited, under it's current ownership, has closed. The school will be moved to a new locale, one which is off the beaten path, but cheaper. We paid the higher price for visibility this year and now that a reputation has been built, the new owners will be able to move to a side street. Things have been absolutely insane this week. We were contracted to translate over 200 pages of .pdf files for a company website, which we promptly translated in a miraculously short amount of time. I assumed that my life would be less hectic after our graduation ceremony two Saturdays ago, but I was WRONG. In fact, I continued to teach a couple of summer classes and translated my brains out. I'm totally fried and have been battling a stomach problem for over a month. I NEED A VACATION. So, luckily today is it. I will be on vacation for my last week in Cape Verde. I'll be flying out on Sunday the 10th and I'll arrive in Mississippi on the morning of the 11th. Jackson, my adorable cat, will be with me. He's been a trooper this year and will be SOOO happy to back to the land of birds, squirrels, and rodents. His hunting instincts will surely need some sharpening.

As time draws near, I am thrilled to have had this experience. Cape Verde has been a blessing and a much needed change. I can't wait to return to the familiarity of America. Life here has been so different from my experiences at home. I'll always appreciate what I've learned and the growth and personal development I've made here. I'll also appreciate the people I've worked with and the things I leave behind as my gifts to this country. Volunteering and teaching both have the bonus of making the person doing the service or the job a better person, which is far more than you actually give or do for others.

Signing off for now... the electric company is here to shut off our lights at the school. I'll teach my one last class without lights, but the sun is shining brightly here at English Unlimited... NO WORRIES.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear KC,



I hope you are well. Just came across your blog. Great stuff! I am writing to you because my partner and I are launching a website that will be populated with cross-cultural information about every country in the world. We will be looking to the web community to help do this with all the information being available for free. I was wondering any members of the group may be able to help us out with the Cape Verde pages. We would love your input. Let me know if you would be open to this and I'll send along a brief questionnaire. Please also feel welcome to check out the website, become a member (it’s free!) and add to the guide.



http://www.culturecrossing.net/



Thank you for your time!


Michael Landers
Director - Culture Crossing
Email: michael@culturecrossing.net
www.culturecrossing.net

holly and morgan said...

we are so proud of the time and work you have put in while you have been there! We are though however ready for you to come home! I hope that your day off was a day of rest! I start back to work today. We cant wait to see you.

love you and miss you