Friday, July 04, 2008

It rained... AND happy 4th of July

Last night it finally rained. We got our first touch of the "rainy season" here in Mindelo. The rest of the country has reported rain, but as always, our island is the last to get rain. It's overcast today and gloomy which is actually really pleasant. I hope it continues! Everyone stays inside and the city is quiet.

ALSO, happy 4th of July. Tomorrow will mark the 3 year anniversary of my move to Cape Verde. Time has flown by and when I look back on what I have done in this country, it's amazing. My 30th birthday is on Tuesday, the 8th and I can't believe that I'm 30 either!

Anyway, as many of you know, I will be returning to the states on August 10th... for good. I have been offered a position at the University of Southern Mississippi's Gulf Coast campus. I will be considered a visiting professor for one year and then a full, nation-wide search will be done, at which point, I will hopefully be hired as a full faculty member. Anyway, I'm turning 30 and I am being offered a "big kid" job! I'm so excited and can't wait to be home. I will miss Cape Verde and the school dearly, but I am thrilled to get to live in Mississippi again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are so happy you are coming home! I cant wait! love you and miss you!

holly

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS, woman! And HAPPY 3.0!!! [a few days early]. :)

Hugs,
Judi

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday yesterday!!! it was so great to talk to you for just a few seconds!!!

love you
holly

Anonymous said...

You should plan to come to Jacksonville to learn to scuba dive once you get settled in...have a safe trip home!!

Dave

Kate said...

Congratulations on your new position Casey. It has been fun to follow your adventures these past few years! ~Katie Gibson