Thursday, September 27, 2007

Water?

Two days ago I ran out of water. I got home for lunch and turned on my faucet and nothing. So, for a day and a half, I tried to call people and figure out how to get some water. I went up to my tank on the roof and discovered that it, in fact, was empty. So, how do I fill it up. Normally there is a valve somewhere that you can open to fill the tank. I finally found that and turned it on last night at 10 when I got home from teaching. The water came through and I figured I'd leave it on and fill the tank up. Well, at my previous houses, once you opened the valve, you could let the water fill and it would cut off when the tank filled. Apparently, that is not the case now. I let the water run and went to bed. At about 530, I woke in a panic as I heard water coming from the sky. It doesn't rain much, so I immediately thought of my tank. It was both raining and the tank was overflowing. Because of the rain, I can't estimate what was the tank and what was mother nature. At any rate, I am bound to have a major water bill this month! Great. I really hope I didn't waste too much water, but I have a feeling I did. It's hard to tell because it evaporates so quickly. I learned yet another lesson here in Cape Verde! When do I get to stop learning these kind of lessons???? Seriously.

On a different note, school is going great. I love teaching. My students are wonderful and interested. We are overflowing with students. We have 100 in the school and nearly 40 on a waiting list. I just wish we had more hours to teach and more classrooms in which to teach. We are limited with 2 rooms and 3 teachers. But, 5 businesses are currently pursuing us, including TACV the national airline. They are offering us free flights to the states in exchange for classes. It looks like a go and let's hope this pays for my trip home for Christmas! YEAH!

No comments: