Many people have asked me to post on my blog before I leave the country. I must admit that I have been putting off this posting for several weeks. Posting an "official" first entry is a daunting task. What clever things can I say? What words of reflection are appropriate? What kinds of feelings will writing this type of web journal stir up? I have been putting this post off because it symbolizes a setting in of reality, the kind of reality that is REALLY REAL. By this I mean a reality that will have me moving half way across the globe to speak a language I don't know (Portuguese), work for a government organization, and live and work among peoples of which I know very little. WOW, when I say it that way, it is scary!
I have been asked on many occasions why in the world I would want to join the Peace Corps at this stage in my life. I mean, I have been in college for the past nine years, earned a BA, MA, and almost a PhD. I have run a marathon, traveled all over the world, and have a happy life here in Mississippi. All that accomplished, I have ALWAYS wanted to join the Peace Corps. The Peace Corps for me is kind of like young children saying they want to grow up to be a dentist, doctor, attorney, or architect and then actually becoming that very thing. When I was younger, I wanted to join the Peace Corps. I graduated high school hoping to enter but found out that you have to have a college degree to join up. SO, I went to college to earn a BA so that I could then enter the Peace Corps. In my final months at Huntingdon, I applied to be in the Peace Corps and applied to master's programs. I decided that if I did not get funding for graduate school, I would finally get to enter the Peace Corps, but as you know, I found funding at both Colorado State for my MA and at Penn State for my PhD. After passing my comprehensive exams in the Fall and working on my dissertation, I decided to cut short my time in Pennsylvania and apply to be in the Peace Corps. That desire I had as a child, never went away. I am now fulfilling a life-long dream to help others, to serve the world as it has so graciously served me, and to experience something other than that which I experience everyday.
I have taught my student for the past 5 years that they must find something about which to have passion. I ask them to make a decision about their world and how they can make a difference. NOW, some of them are able to understand the concept of passion and others think I am absolutely a crazy, leftist teacher (which I am). BUT, I know for certain that those students to engage me in my quest at changing the world are those students who leave my class with passion that turns into compassion. This is my basic teaching philosophy. If we can help others understand that engaging in our communities (both locally and globally) is a worthwhile endeavor, then we can make a difference. I understand that when I help another person, I am growing as a person. I would be naive to believe that I won't benefit from my time in the Peace Corps more than those I help. In this way, the Peace Corps is a selfish adventure too. I am not done learning from others, and I am not done teaching others. I know I have been called to serve, and I know that teaching is what I have been called to do.
All this said, I will be leaving for Africa in four short days. Well, actually, I will leave Mississippi on July 5th for Philadelphia, PA. I will do some pre-service training, fill out paperwork, and get some vaccination shots while I am there. I will then fly to Cape Verde on July 8th (my 27th birthday) to begin my training as a Peace Corps volunteer. I will be in training for the first three months, and then I will begin my two years of service. I still have to pack and tie up loose ends! I probably not post again until I am settled in Cape Verde. I will check email, so please email if you have time... caseymaugh@gmail.com. Also, I will have my cell phone with me until I fly to Africa. Until then ......... Namaste
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Let me begin by saying...."Happy Birthday!" I know I am a day early...but last year I was about 4 weeks late (and only then because of a swift kick to my ass via email).
That done, let me also say "congratulations". I think what you are doing is so very, very cool. I think that the Peace Corp should be mandatory for everyone. We are a nation of lazy, selfish, and unwordly people.
Of course, I probably will not get off the couch tomorrow, and if I do it will be to throw away a plate of half-eaten food that could feed 8 people in Asia while I was busy "learning about the world" on TV...by, ummm, watching the Tour De France.
I admire your choice to do this and I am envious of you as well. Not only did you have the guts to do it, but I think you will have a great experience in the meantime. AFRICA...how cool?! I know you are probably pretty confused emotionally now...half excited, half shitting bricks, but both feelings will fade eventually (well, you may be shitting something else if you drink the water...DON'T DRINK THE WATER!).
To that end (pun intended), don't let routine take over:
- try as many new things as you can
- eat new foods
- travel often
- talk to everybody
- read the local newspaper
- master the language (do as I say...not as I DID NOT)
And most importantly, remember that the best education you will ever get is outside of school. Keep learning.
It is important for you to keep learning because I am pretty sure you never, EVER beat me in Trivial Pursuit (but don't despair, NOBODY does).
I will make sure to tell everyone that you are in the Peace Corps...I will say, "Casey went to Africa and spread her peace." Hopefully nobody will misunderstand me and think I said, "Casey went to Africa and spread herpes"....Ha ha
Good luck. Travel safe. Write often.
KNo
Casey I am so excited for you!! I hope that you had a wonderful birthday and that you are settling in okay. I am just beginning the boring and incredibly isolating work of getting this dissertation into high gear. Sigh.
Best wishes to you and I look forward to reading more about your new life abroad!!
Hope your travel over there went well. I'm glad you are doing this and can't wait to read the book you will write because of it!
Brock
OK, now that I have actually read through what you typed Casey I feel compelled to type again.
It is not you who should be explaining why you joined the Peace Corps but the rest of us explaining why we do not do more. I was a little disturbed when you first called and told me what you were doing and you said you were nervous about people's reactions. You indicated how some had sort of given you a "you are crazy" look. One of the reasons I respect you as much as I do is because you are going from liberal academia and actually putting it to use in the real world. You are not hiding in the Ivory Tower and looking down. You will be a better teacher because you got out of your comfort zone and put your knowledge to test. I assume you will find some of it was beneficial and some of it only pertinent to school; but either way, what a great chance to find all of that out.
So, good luck and good for you. Stop explaining yourself for the decision you have made; the people you are explaining yourself to are probably intimidated by the choice you have made.
Brock
Hi Casey... I hope you are having a wonderful time. I really enjoy reading your stories. They put a smile on my face! I love you and will talk to you soon. Happy belated birthday!!!! Send me your address............
Post a Comment